1. Which English word is derived from the first two letters of the Greek alphabet?
2. Which famous Indian author's mother was the first woman judge of the Delhi high court?
3. In 1967, how did Denise Darvall and Louis Washkansky from South Africa become a part of medical history?
4. In 1937, Walter Brennan became the first person to win which coveted award?
5. The ubiquitous rickshaw, now seen in many parts of India, was first introduced in which Indian city?
6. In 1853, the first regular passenger train service was started in India between which two locations?
7. Which were the first Olympic Games to be televised live?
8. Who was the first person to be knighted for his contribution to cricket journalism?
9. While Casino Royale was the first book of the James Bond series, which was the first novel to be filmed?
10. Which legendary character's first film appearance was in the film The Wise Little Hen in 1934?
11. According to the Vedas, who was the first mortal to have died?
12. Hijli Detention camp, where many patriots were imprisoned during British rule, is now a part of the campus of which pioneering educational institution?
13. Indira Gandhi became India's first woman PM in 1966. But who was the first Indian woman to be elected Chief Minister?
Joy Bhattacharjya is the Project Director of the Local Organizing Committee for the 2017 FIFA Under-17 World Cup, India. Joy has written for various publications. He pens a regular column on sports for The Economic Times.
ANSWERS 1. Alphabet. 2.Vikram Seth, son of Leila Seth 3.They were the donor and receiver of the first ever human heart transplant performed by Dr Christiaan Barnard. 4.The Oscars for best supporting actor for the film Come and Get It. 5.Shimla. 6.Bombay & Thane. 7. Berlin Olympics, 1936. 8.Sir John Frederick Neville Cardus. 9. Dr. No, in 1962. 10. Donald Duck. 11. Yama. 12.IIT Kharagpur, the first IIT to be set up in India. 13.Sucheta Kriplani, who became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh in 1963.